Every year I wake up Oscar morning so excited and every year I turn off the TV (or, in today’s case, closed my browser window) disappointed.
Below is the full list of Oscar nominations but let me say…
- No Ridley Scott nomination for Best Director? This is a crime.
- Another crime is The Academy being swayed by the studios into nominating Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander for Best Supporting Actress for movies where they were clearly the lead (or co-lead) female. Terrible…and it bumped people like Kristen Stewart (yes, THAT Kristen Stewart) out of the race and also Vikander herself for the more supporting turn in Ex Machina. Helen Mirren too!
- Bryan Cranston’s nomination for Trumbo is almost as jokey as his performance…what a waste of a nomination. The Academy does know nominating Cranston as Trumbo doesn’t forgive what Hollywood did to the actual man, right?
- Netflix is represented with TWO nominations in the Best Documentary Feature category…
- No Best Picture nomination for Carol or for its director? Very sad…
- No nomination for Lily Tomlin in Grandma? Even sadder…
- No Jane Fonda nomination for Youth? Eh…I should be sad but I’m still not sure I even liked her…but maybe I did…then again maybe I didn’t…
- Sylvester Stallone in Creed…I whooped when the nomination was announced. Same with Tom Hardy’s nomination.
- Sad that a Best Animated Short nomination went to Sanjay’s Super Team instead of Lava, a much superior (and far more moving) short.
- Again…though they could have nominated 10 films, there are only 8. This left films like Straight Outta Compton, Carol, and Inside Out off the list.
Aside from these initial observations, the nominations were fairly straightforward…but there’s still plenty of time for the tables to turn.
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Embrace of the Serpent
Son of Saul
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
What Happend, Miss. Simone?
The Look of Silence
Winter’s On Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
Mad Max: Fury Road
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT
Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)
BEST ANIMATED SHORT
Sanjay’s Super Team
We Can’t Leave Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Chau, Beyong the Lines
A Girl in the River
Last Day of Freedom